We usually think of fall and winter for cost saving measures in your home, here are some tips to help save some money and increase the value of your home!
1. Clean the refrigerator and air conditioner coils.Your fridge and air conditioner work in nearly the same way – by exchanging heat through a system of coils. When those coils are dirty and dusty, they can’t exchange heat as efficiently, so the system has to run harder and longer to have the same cooling effect.
Luckily, cleaning these coils is simple. Just take a vacuum hose to the coils on the back of your fridge. For an outside air conditioner unit, you’ll need to disassemble the casing (making sure the power to the unit is off first), and clean using canned air and/or a stiff brush and spray bottle.
2. Schedule routine heating, ventilation and air conditioning maintenance.Yes, it costs money to get an HVAC professional to look over your system. But routinemaintenance costs much lessthan major fixes down the road. So call and schedule your HVAC maintenance now. To save even more, check websites such as Groupon, Amazon Local and Angie’s List for deals with local HVAC companies.
3. Inspect and repair your roof.Spring is the time to get out on the roof to check for ice, hail or water damage from winter.Repairing minor damagecan be a quick do-it-yourself fix, and staying on top of your roof’s condition (no pun intended) can save you money by avoiding water damage later on.
4. Clean gutters.This can be a Saturday-long spring chore for many, but it’s important, especially if you live in an area with April showers.
Water doesn’t properly pass through clogged gutters. And that means more water gets near the foundation of your home. This may not cause immediate problems, but over time, too much water near the foundation can cause damage and weakening, which are expensive problems to fix later.
5. Clean the dryer vent.Just like your refrigerator doesn’t work properly with dusty coils, your dryer is less efficient with a lint-filled vent. Even if you clean the lint trap before every load of laundry, you’ll still get some lint in the vent hose, which builds up over time.
To clean the vent, just remove the vent hose from the back of the dryer and vacuum it well. Then, remove the vent cover on the outside of your home, and vacuum it from that side, too.
6. Check the washing machine hoses.Over time, washing machine hoses can crack, which can cause leaks. Sometimes, these inconspicuous leaks go on for weeks or months unnoticed, usually because the washer is pushed back into a corner. This can cause mold problems, water damage and more.
So while you’ve got the dryer pulled out to clean the vent, pull out the washer, too. Check that the hoses are still flexible, and they show no signs of cracking. If they do look worn or cracked, just replace them. It’s an easy fix!
7. Re-caulk windows and doors.You might have caulked your doors and windows before the winter chill set in. Unfortunately, even the best caulk can harden, crack and shrink when it’s cold outside.
So check your windows and doors, and replace as needed.Keeping the hot air outduring the summer is just as important as keeping it in during the winter.
8. Plant trees in strategic locations.As you think about landscaping this spring, consider planting a new tree or two. Mother Nature will certainly thank you, and yourheating and cooling billsmight, too.
If your house gets hit with a lot of sun during the day – which causes the inside to heat up – plant a fast-growing deciduous tree or two on the west, east or northwest side of your home for cooling shade.
And if you noticed wind whistling through the cracks of your home over the winter, an evergreen windbreak on the windiest side of your home might do the trick and block the wind.
Before you plant, make sure you understand how large a tree will grow when it reaches maturity, so you avoid potential costly issues from a tree planted too close to your home.
Author:Josh Zehnder Phone: 937-219-4870 Dated: April 7th 2015 Views: 531 About Josh: My commitment is to the Greater Dayton & Cincinnati areas. I have over 15 years of experience in the...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
About Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Professional Realty
The Zehnder Group provides exceptional, experienced and trusted real estate support to local families in the Miami Valley. We are backed by the Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices brand. Whether buying a new home or selling your existing one, our quality expert staff is prepared to help you accomplish your real estate goals. Total customer satisfaction is our mission. The Zehnder Group, Experience Real Estate Excellence.
Here are four reasons to consider buying today instead of waiting.1. P
"Don helped me and my wife Carolyn successfully sell our home. Don worked diligently to sell our house. The selling process occurred during the weak time of real estate marketing. His efforts were continuous and we found him devoting extra effort and going out of his way to promote our property. He kept himself readily available to contact by responding quickly when called. We greatly appreciated his excellent service"